Are you looking for an adventure in the spectacular Kyrgyz countryside that is affordable, a bit challenging but not too physical and that will leave you begging for more breathtaking views?
This 3-day 2-night horse riding trip to the alpine lake of Song Kol is perfect for you!
Horse riding around Song Kol lake and the high mountain pastures is one of the top activities to do from Bishkek. Stay in a traditional Kyrgyz yurt, meet the friendly semi-nomadic families and herdsmen who live in the mountains at 3,000m above sea level.
Riding a horse Kyrgyz style is a unique experience. Beginner or experienced horse rider, you’re sure to get fantastic memories out of this trip. Don’t worry if you’ve never ridden a horse before, our guides will explain exactly how to saddle, mount, ride and even gallop in the Kyrgyz jailoos (summer pastures).
Get a taste of the nomadic life in rural Kyrgysztan! Watch farmers milk mares, drink some mare’s milk, try to spot some of the many species of birds who live in the area, and soak in the fresh air and the absolutely gorgeous views of the sun setting over the Song Kol Lake. Don’t forget to bring a tripod with you to snap some pictures of the beautiful starry sky at night with the mountains and the lake in the background.
- Day 1: Bishkek to Kyzart by bus. Have lunch in Kyzart before getting on your horse. Horse riding or 3 hours. Dinner & night with shepherds in a yurt.
- Day 2: Kyzart to Song Kol by horse. Horse riding for 3 hours. Dinner & night in a yurt camp.
- Day 3: Song Kol to Kyzart by horse. Horse riding for around 5 hours. Lunch in Kyzart. Bus back to Bishkek.
- Horse rental.
- Horse guide (with limited English).
- Helmet for horse riding.
- Transport (around 400 som by marshrutka/bus one way – #514) / private transfer from Bishkek to Kyzart is $50 per car.
- English speaking horse guide is $10 extra per day per group.
Duration: 3 days and 2 nights
Requirements: trekking boots/gaiters, weatherproof warm clothes, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, rain coat and warm clothes – it gets really cold at night!
Best season: Mid June – Mid September (however available throughout the year including winter)
Accommodation & meals: 2 nights in a yurt, 3 lunches, 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts.
Prices for the 3-day Horseback riding tour:
- 1 person: 11,900 som
- 2 people: 17,200 som
- 3 people: 22,500 som
- 4 people: 34,400 som
3-day hiking tour to Song Kol with the same itinerary would cost:
- 1 person: 8,900 som
- 2 people: 11,800 som
- 3 people: 14,700 som